Published on January 14th, 2013 | by thetoolsman48
Find Me A Regular Girl
Hey people, it’s Thetoolsman here with another MondayRush. How are we all doing today? Good weekend? I hope so. Like I said in one of my previous posts this year, you’ll notice more structure to most of our sections as we dig deeper into the year. For those who don’t know, Monday’s are all about opinions. We have two spots every Monday. First up is the MondayRush which pretty much looks at the previous week and we highlight one major news event that drives our conversation for the day and then you have Zombie which does the same thing but is more slanted towards politics, business and how it affects you, our readers.
After looking through all the events of last week (which I was able to summarize to the following by the way) …
- Django Django Django
- Indian men have something for buses and can’t seem to keep it in their pants
- Django Django Django
- Timberlake is back (maybe)
- Django Django Django
- S/o to nakedness Girls Won @ The Golden Globe
- Jodie Foster came out (kinda)
It was really obvious what I had to write on right? The blogosphere is drowning in all kinds of opinion pieces centered around the movie Django but since I haven’t seen
I’m not supposed to have seen the movie thanks to the failed businesses we call cinemas in Nigeria, I’ll save my comments for later and just share something else instead. I know I’ve gone over this before but last week, I was looking through the status updates on a friends bbm and came across the wedding day picture of a mutual friend who was pretty much a renowned Tiger Woods heartthrob some years back. While looking at it, she came over to me and asked one question: Why did he end up with a ‘regular girl’? I didn’t want to go over my old posts on the subject so I’ll share something from someone else today. Enjoy.
There are two other related factors. Both are stereotypes and I’m not shying away from that fact. Many stereotypes have legitimate origins but you can believe what you want.
1) In my opinion, a lot of pretty women have issues. As far as men are concerned, all women have issues but pretty women have more. I don’t know why but it could be as simple as because people allow them to. Most men know or will eventually learn that if you deal with enough pretty women, you’re going to have to put up with some extra sh*t. More sh*t than you would with your average regular woman. For example – and I’m still stereotyping here – pretty women tend to have less developed personalities, consistently rank higher on the crazy scale, expect more for less in generally every aspect of life, and perhaps the most obvious, because they are pretty, sometimes rely heavily on their looks to get what they want – and are shocked if/when this tactic fails.
I’m not saying awesome pretty women don’t exist. They do. I will, however, argue that you will find far more regular women typically exceed pretty woman in all categories but looks. In my opinion, the race isn’t even close.
In the interest of accounting for my bias, I will concede this may be based on the relative population of the two. Men know women are not equally distributed in looks across a scale of 1 – 10 but EVEN IF THEY WERE, while beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, even a 5th grader is smart enough to tell you that simple math dictates there would be less 10s available in the population than 1 – 9s combined. Therefore, odds are there are less extremely attractive women (10s) than regular women (1 – 6s) to choose from.
2) I believe men become less superficial with age. Older men are also less willing to put up with as much random crap from a pretty woman simply because she is pretty. I guess it’s not that men’s preferences change, it’s that we realize there is more to sustaining our happiness than a woman’s looks alone. If I had to assign a time frame for the average man I’d say it’s post age 25. Not coincidentally, this is when most men seriously consider getting married (according to Newsweek, the average is 27).
Around this age men finally begin to weigh pros and cons with greater accuracy: Do you want to put up with the FINE woman with the personality of a rock, who sucks in bed without sucking in bed and doesn’t provide you with much overall satisfaction beyond her looks – for the rest of your life? Or do you stop putting so much emphasis on looks and find a woman you genuinely like for reasons extending beyond her superficial attributes?
For many men it is a truly shocking experience to enjoy spending time with a woman when sex is not the first or only thing on his mind. It takes even longer for (most) men to accept such satisfaction may not be wrapped in the body of a 10.
Will a man remain faithful to a regular woman?
Look, if a man wants to cheat he is going to cheat. If a man wants to be faithful, he will be faithful. You can be pretty, ugly or anywhere in between and these facts remain the same.
Even if a man is with a woman you/I/we perceive as ugly, it is very possible he is perfectly happy with her, and she may very well satisfy him in ways a “pretty” woman never could as far as he is concerned. Additionally, beauty is highly subjective – but that’s another discussion.
My point is that happy – and more importantly, satisfied – men don’t need/want to cheat.
To the guys reading, are the points above accurate? Why do men spend years dating/ pursuing/ talking about the model/video girl prototypes they are allegedly going to marry, then turn around and settle down with the regular / cute / basic girl? Why do men who are perfectly capable of getting with “model types” suddenly leave those types alone when pursuing a wife? Can men remain faithful to regular women?
And for the ladies, do you find being labeled a “regular” woman offensive?
Post by WIM